4. Elihu Mendenhall was born on 9 August 1874 in Cassiopolis, Cass, Michigan. He died on 9 April 1909 in South Bend, St. Joseph, Indiana. He was buried on 11 April 1909 in South Bend, St. Joseph, Indiana. He married Ora Elizabeth May Mummy on 14 November 1893 in Plymouth, Marshall, Indiana. [Parents]
Sources of Information:
1. Personal knowledge of Marie Louise Augusta Jurgens
2. Family Bible information in possession of great granddaughter.
3. International Genealogical Index
4. 1880 U.S. Census, St. Joseph, IN; 1880; E.D. 161, page 54, Supervisor District #5; NOTE: Aged 6, single, born Michigan
5. St. Joseph County, Indiana, 1880 Census, Portage 373, . Source Media Type: Book.
6. Notes of Donna Wills, . Source Media Type: Book.
7. Family Records of Kurt Otto Schelle, Jr., . Source Media Type: Other.
8. Conversation with niece.
Source 4: NOTE: Aged 6, single, born Michigan
Source 8: Elihu died of heart failure on Good Friday, April 9, 1909. He was only 30 when he died. He had been in business with a Mr. Keller in Real Estate. His wife Ora thought that Mr. Keller would take care of her and the children but he did not. Elihu was born on Thursday, September 9, 1874. He was born near Cassiopolis Michigan in a home. His birth may never have been recorded. Elihu is buried at the City Cemetery in South Bend Indiana. He was a Mason.
5. Ora Elizabeth May Mummy [Photos] was born on 20 May 1875 in Plymouth, Marshall, Indiana. She married a second time, after the death of Elihu, in September of 1929, to Marion Marshman. Ora died on 10 February 1948 in South Bend, St. Joseph, Indiana. She was buried on 14 February 1948 in South Bend, St. Joseph, Indiana. [Parents]
SOURCES OF INFORMATION:
1. Records in possession of granddaughter
2. Cass County Records by correspondence, August 1975
3. International Genealogical Index
4. Letter from niece, postmarked 4 June 2002.
5. The News-Sentinel; Fulton County, Indiana; Obituaries; 1948
Source 4: Ora was born north of Plymouth Indiana. The house still stands. She was expecting Marjorie when Elihu died. She worked hard to care for her children after he died. She thought Mr. Keller, Elihu's business partner, would take care of her and the children, but he did not. She took in laundry and the older boys delivered it after school. Ora remarried after the children were grown in about 1929 to a Marion Marshman who was a bachelor with no children. Mr. Marshman had wanted her to keep house for him. Ora said she would but only if they were married, so he married her. They lived in Argus Indiana. They belonged to the Church of God. Her daughter, Maude, said she never saw her mother sick or in the hospital. One day they went to a church breakfast and after they had all eaten, Ora got up and dropped dead. She died of a cerebral hemorrage. She loved to have her hair combed. She kept it long and usually up, but let her grandchildren comb it for her whenever they visited. Since they lived close by they got to comb it often. Ora was of French and English heritage. Ora was born May 20, 1873. She married at 18. and her first child, Maude was born when she was 21.
Source 5: Wednesday, February 11, 1948
Mrs. Ora MARSHMAN of Argos died Tuesday at 1:15 p.m. in the Parkview hospital, Plymouth. Mrs. Marshman suffered a heart attack Monday morning and was removed to the hospital a few hours afterward but her condition gradually became worse. The deceased had been a resident of Argos for the past 19 years.
Mrs. Marshman was born May 20, 1875 in Marshall county. In 1893 she was united in marriage with Elihu MINDENALL in a ceremony pronounced in Plymouth. Mr. Mindenhall died on April 9, 1909. Her second marriage to Marion MARSHMAN was in 1929. She was a member of the Argos Church of God. Survivors are her husband and six children by the first marriage, Mrs. Maude HEAD of South Bend, Mrs. Ruth DeGRAFF of Elkhart, George Edward MINDENHALL of Denver, Colo.; Ernest, Oscar and Eugene MINDENHALL, all of South Bend; twenty-one grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon, 2 o'clock, at the Grossman funeral home in Argos. Rev. Frank WAGONER will be in charge of the rites and burial will be in the Highland cemetery South Bend. The body lies in state at the funeral home where friends may call.
Also in this same source is the obituary of her second husband, Marion Marshman:
Monday, November 15, 1948
Marion M. Marshman
Marion M. MARSHMAN died Sunday night at his home in Argos following a few weeks' illness. He had been a resident of that town throughout his entire life.
Mr. Marshman was born near Argos on Jan. 5, 1870. In September of 1920 he was married to Ora MENDENHALL. She preceded in death in February of the current year. He was a member of the Methodist church.
Survivors are a sister, Mary COON of Gary, and several nieces and nephews. Funeral services will be held in the Grossman funeral home Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. with the Rev. George RUSSELL officiating. Burial will be in the Jordan cemetery.
They had the following children:
F 1. Maude Elizabeth Mendenhall was born on 22 August 1894 in South Bend, St. Joseph, Indiana. She died on 20 July 1971.
M 2. George Edward Mendenhall Senior was born on 2 February 1898 in South Bend, St. Joseph, Indiana. He died on 15 January 1966 in Denver, Denver, Colorado. He was buried in Chapel Hill Cemetery in Littleton, Arapahoe, Colorado.
M 3. Eli Oscar Mendenhall was born on 3 February 1900 in South Bend, St. Joseph, Indiana. He died on 31 March 1959.
M 4. Ernest Wilbur Mendenhall was born on 14 August 1902 in South Bend, St. Joseph, Indiana. He died on 30 October 1964 in South Bend, St. Joseph, Indiana.
F 5. Eva Ruth Mendenhall was born on 21 October 1904 in South Bend, St. Joseph, Indiana. She died in 1974.
M 6. Leslie Eugene Mendenhall was born on 2 September 1906 in South Bend, St. Joseph, Indiana. He died on 17 July 1990. He was buried in Walkerton, Indiana.
F 7. Marjorie Eloise Mendenhall was born on 26 August 1909 in South Bend, St. Joseph, Indiana. She died on 13 January 1930.
Jump from Second Generation to Generation
1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Mendenhall Family History Home Page | Four Generation Pedigree | Name Index | Surname List